A bi-plane was shipped to BG in 1913. In photograph Capt. George Schmidt, a German American, took off from Pln Bel Air, East Coast Demerara, and flew the plane around Georgetown dropping messages and shopping coupons (and probably money too). With the outbreak of war all civilian flying over BG was banned. By 1920 the open land shown in the above pic was converted to a race course.