Mahaica Hospital (1932)
In 1932 a group of nuns belonging to the Order of Sisters of the Immaculate Conception from Moravia, Czechoslovakia came to British Guiana to work at the Mahaica Leprosarium under Dr F. G. Rose. In 1935 Bishop George Weld, SJ invited the Sisters of Mercy to come to BG and on October 24, 1935 six Sisters arrived in British Guiana bound for Mahaica, where they began caring for the large number of patients. They and many Sisters who came after gave 35 years of dedicated service there.
In the photo below are two blind patients (sitting). Left is Flora and right is Poldina, a Portuguese woman. The nun standing is Sister Indka Sakina.
[singlepic id=2376 w=320 h=240 float=center]
[singlepic id=2377 w=320 h=240 float=center]