St. Joseph’s High School was founded by the Sisters of Mercy in 1897 to educate the girls of Charlestown and neighboring wards. Its original name was St. Joseph’s High School, Convent of Mercy. With just a handful of students, classes were held in the hall of an old Dutch house in Charlestown, Georgetown. A new building was erected at the corner of Charles and Howes Streets in Charlestown in 1925 to accommodate an increased student population of fifty. The head mistress at the time was Sister Gabriel Fernandes. Sunday, September 24, 1939 was another milestone date when an annexe was declared open. The opening service was conducted by the Vicar General assisted by the Head Master of St. Stanislaus College, both of them Jesuit priests. Before the service the students and teachers walked in procession around the school. The annexe housed the Commercial Department which taught bookkeeping, shorthand and typing. Downstairs of the annexe was an infant school. The school by this time had an enrollment of three hundred and fifty students. In 1944 Miss Elsa Gouveia became the first and probably the only St. Joseph’s High School student to win the prestigious Guiana Scholarship. Today the school is located at 23 Woolford Avenue, Georgetown. Photograph shows the annexe on opening day.